Title 29-A MRSA, Chapter 11, Subchapter 2, Section 1304, Subsection 1, Paragraph H:

A person under 21 years of age may not apply for a license unless: (1) A period of 3 months has passed from the date the person was issued an instruction permit; and (2) The person has completed a minimum of 35 hours of driving, including 5 hours of night driving, while accompanied by a parent, guardian, or licensed driver at least 20 years of age. The parent, stepparent or guardian, or a spouse or employer pursuant to section 1302, subsection 1, paragraphs B and C, must certify the person's driving time on a form prescribed by the Secretary of State.  A person 21 years of age and older is not required to submit certification of driving time to the Secretary of State.

From the Maine Policy Handbook:

Prior to the youth’s 16th birthday, caseworkers will inform the youth that funds for driver’s education are available. The youth’s caseworker will discuss the expectations, responsibilities, and steps involved with respect to obtaining a driver’s license and encourage the youth to enroll in a driver’s education school at a mutually agreed upon point in the near future.  The youth’s care provider will be given the same information as the youth is given as outlined above.

The Department of Human Services may cover the total cost for driver’s education.  However, if the youth has part-time employment, or is willing or able to work, they may be expected to pay for a fairly negotiated portion of the cost of their driver’s education course.  However, lack of funds for driver’s education should not be a barrier to acquiring this important life skill.

Prior to starting their driver’s education course, the youth will provide their caseworker with a list of the names of individuals who are willing to supervise their practice driving time.  This will give the caseworker time to review the list and perform any background checks on individuals at their discretion. These can be caseworkers, foster parents, group home staff, agency approved mentors, employers, birth parents, or other responsible licensed drivers.

When enrolling in driving school, the youth must submit an original birth certificate (or notarized copy – not a photocopy), completed driving school forms, and a Departmental purchase order to the school. Completed driving school forms will include a caseworker’s signature.

Upon completion of the youth’s driver's education course, the caseworker will review the driving course instructor’s written evaluation of the youth’s driving skills.  If the written evaluation is satisfactory, the caseworker will briefly review the information with their supervisor and forward the youth’s application for permit (MVE-64 form) to the District Program Administrator for signature as soon as possible. Note: Youth over age 18 may apply for their permit and sign the form themselves.

After the youth’s driving hours log is complete, it must be signed by either a District Program Administrator, or Children’s Services Supervisor in order for the youth to be able to schedule a time for their driver’s license road test. The signature of one of these individuals for the youth’s driving hours log is required by BMV for any youth up to age 21.  (Note: Some Bureau of Motor Vehicle offices may require the signature of the Program Administrator for the driving hours log)

In the event that a registered and insured vehicle in which to take the road test is unavailable, the Department of Human Services will pay for the rental of a driver’s education vehicle for youth to use to take the road test.

Once the youth passes the road test and obtains their 60-day temporary driver’s license, they will go the local BMV office with their parent or guardian within 60 days to obtain their picture license.  The parent or guardian must go with the youth in order to sign for the picture license.  (It is not necessary for the District Program Administrator to do this)

No youth in care under the age of 18 may own a motor vehicle in their own name.  However, a youth in care under the age of 18 may operate a motor vehicle if it is owned under the name of a responsible adult and they are allowing the youth to use the vehicle.  The vehicle must be properly insured according to the law initially as verified by the youth’s caseworker.  Any violations of motor vehicle or insurance laws and the consequences of such violations will be the responsibility of the youth.